How to get back on track in 2017


A new year is always a good chance to get things evaluated and make changes to both yourself and to your life. That said, I really hate the term 'new year, new me'. There was nothing wrong with you before but no one is perfect and so there's always room for just doing things a little better. For a lot of people this is going to the gym more or eating healthily and, as this is something I like to think I'm fairly good at, I thought I'd give a few tips and tricks to those who may have fallen off and wagon last year but are ready to get back on!

I feel like it's important to also say that if this isn't one your goals for 2017 then that's okay too. I'd encourage anyone to think about leading a healthy lifestyle as much as possible but everyone is unique and it's your life - don't let anyone tell you how to lead it!



#1. It's all about prep

When thinking about starting a new gym routine or switching up your diet it's really important to prepare what you're going to do. I'm not talking meal prep here (although that's super important too) but just writing down your goals and picking out some healthy recipes that you think you'll enjoy. Ensure that those goals are small and feasible; I'd recommend starting with something incredibly easy like 'I'm going to cook something entirely homemade twice a week this month' then build out from there. The key to goal setting is achieving them and (trust me) the motivation will build and build each time you reach one so start small and get bigger.

#2. Don't do it alone

One of the hardest things you can do is try and change the way you eat and exercise all alone. Often your lifestyle is encouraged by a partner or by friends/colleagues and so if your'e going to embark on this adventure, get those close to you involved too - my husband now loves sweet potato and that's something I never would have thought would happen! Perseverance is key ladies!


#3. Get inspired

This is an important one. If you really want to get back on track, you sometimes need to accept a little help from others and there's so much out there! Sign up to Women's Health, subscribe to some lovely ladies on Youtube (Cary Rowena and Cat Meffan are my current faves), and check out some blogs. There's so much out there and it can often be intimidating and make you feel worse to watch toned and tanned fitness bunnies jumping around a gym making it look easy so be careful with this one and remember you're perfect!

#4. Keep it consistent

This is really important if you used to lead a healthy lifestyle but fell off the wagon. Quite often consistency (or lack of it) can really affect motivation - seriously! Around October last year I was beginning to resent getting up at 6am and trudging down to the gym, it just wasn't working for me, the equipment was outdated and I didn't enjoy it anymore. I found myself skipping sessions, feeling guilty then blowing off the rest of the week because 'what was the point'. I was fortunate enough to recognise this quite early on and so we looked at a new gym, one that had more equipment, better facilities and fitted in more with our schedule. I've been going (pretty much) 4-5 times a week ever since and yeah getting up now at 5:30 sucks, but it means I'm less rushed in the morning and 'I need to wash my hair' is no longer an excuse.

#5. Reflect

What worked really well last year? When good was good, why was it so good? When bad was bad...yeah you get the picture. Thinking back and being honest with yourself will allow you to fix the kinks that prevented you from being who you wanted to be - write these down and put down solutions or ways to fix these so that you don't fall off again.

#6. Make it your lifestyle

This is so important and really you shouldn't be embarking on any sort of health regime unless you're willing to stick to it for life...yes...life! I hate the word 'diet' - what's the point? You try and reach a goal that always keeps moving and you're never happy. Some people say to me 'oh you're always on a diet' but I say no, this is the food I love to eat. I eat chocolate (a square of dark most evenings), I go out for dinner, I eat pasta and cookies and ice cream and, well, quite a few things that are bad for me - I just don't do it that often. The thing that many people I talk to can't grasp is that I love kale, I love fruit (I mean mango...hello!), give me avo toast over a bacon butty any day because I LOVE IT. Healthy food can be so tasty you just have to know what to do with it - it's not all salads and quinoa. I seriously recommend checking the The Lean Machines Youtube channel and cookbook.


I hope you guys have liked these tips - I'm hoping to bring some more of my health and fitness onto my blog and channel this year so let me know what you think!

Shop the look




Thanks for reading


10 comments

  1. I love number 6! I always say that. Because if you're on a diet it almost sounds like a punishment, and the healthy lifestyle is something a person should enjoy for life. Lovely post :)

    Xo,
    Paula
    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't have put it better! Thanks Paula :)

      Delete
  2. Rut Rodríguez26 January 2017 at 12:59

    Love the look from head to toe!
    Great post xx

    www.cocosnotebook.com

    ReplyDelete

© ARABELLA

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig