Healthy blueberry flapjacks | Gluten Free and Vegan Friendly


In my continued attempt to bring more of my health and fitness onto this blog, I thought I would show you guys this recipe that I made one blustery Sunday afternoon. But first, I want to talk to you about gluten.

Lately I've been feeling really awful - not necessarily about the way I look (although we all get that feeling) but in my general well-being. Now I would consider myself a very healthy person, my diet is about 70-80% vegan (generally only having meat, fish and dairy at dinner time and leaving the rest - including snacks - to nature). Basically I eat a lot of fruit, veg and avocado toast. On top of that I do a serious amount of exercise, gym at least 3 times a week plus martial arts and marathon training. So with all that - why am I feeling so rubbish?

I've been trying to cut various things out my diet to see what a difference it can make - such things being lactose, soy (I miss my edamame) but the problem still persists. Enter...gluten...I very much plan on going to the doctor, however, I am fairly certain that they will tell me to come back after writing a food diary. Therefore I've started thinking about ways that I can minimise gluten in my diet with the plan being to do a complete 3 week gluten-free period writing everything down. They say it can take months - even years - for traces of gluten to leave the body but, not being coeliac, 3 weeks should suffice to see if a difference can be made.

I opened up my 'Deliciously Ella' recipe book and noted down some more recipes to try and found one for flapjacks. Thinking that I may get a sweet-craving that week - you don't have to think hard for the reason why - I thought it might be a good idea to be prepared. I've used the basic recipe from the book but added a few of my own twists such as blueberries and almond butter.











Ingredients

|

360g Organic, gluten-free oats
6 Tablespoons of maple syrup
6 Tablespoons of almond butter
4 Tablespoons of coconut oil (plus a bit extra for greasing)
2 medium sized bananas
150g bluberries


Makes about 15 large flapjacks


Recipe

|

1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan

2. Mash the 2 bananas together as best you can, in the video, mine were a bit hard still but I like chunks of fruit so not the end of the world.

3. Transfer the banana mixture to a saucepan and add in the almond butter, maple syrup and coconut oil. Simmer until it's mixed together and is fluid.

4. Add the wet mix to the oats and stir well, adding the blueberries half way through.

5. Grease a tray with coconut oil, I heat mine gently first but not so that it's too hot to touch, then add the mixture, pressing firmly with a spatula to compress.

6. Bake for 15-20mins until golden brown on top.

7. Leave to cool (mine look a bit messy because I was impatient) and then slice and serve with a nice cup of green tea.

Watch me make the recipe below, and subscribe to my Youtube channel for more!



2 comments

  1. Those look insanely delicious! I never really go near flapjack as it's so sugary. Is maple syrup ok to use? I thought it was still really quite sugary and sweet? I might need to give these a go!

    Raindrops of Sapphire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorna - maple syrup is a naturally occurring sugar and is therefore not refined like table sugar; it's similar to the sugar found in honey or fruit. I only use 6 tbls in this recipe which is quite a small amount, these flapjacks aren't overly sweet at all :) Hope that helps. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

© ARABELLA

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig