How to: Make a green smoothie that actually tastes good


Wow that week has gone so quickly - I can't believe it's time for my second 'How to' post of the year! Did you guys like the last one? This week I want to share with you one of my favourite recipes for a post-workout green smoothie that is the perfect start to your day!



I normally have this 4-5 times a week, using 1 carton of coconut water (it lasts for ages) and generally I have it after the gym/training so sometimes it's a quick breakfast and other times it's an evening pre-dinner filler. Either way you have it you need to trust me when I say it tastes good and doesn't have sh*t loads of added sugar!

One of the main problems I had when I started really taking my diet and fitness seriously was that I wanted the goodness of green smoothies and I really don't like taking protein powder on it's own with milk/water, but to make them taste nice I thought I had to add mango and blueberries and basically loads of fruit! To be honest I do still like to add blueberries from time to time as these are a low sugar fruit but more often than not I'm going to be eating them with some porridge later on anyway. I used to freeze my fruit and then blitz it up so it was nice and cold which does work really well but did mean I was adding sugar to my smoothie and so I couldn't eat fruit during the rest of the day (FYI I really enjoy eating fruit so didn't want my allowance taken up by the blender!).

After playing around with different recipes for a while I have settled on this one and have been having it this way for over a year now without getting bored! It's really simple too! I also shopped around for a while for a decent coconut water without loads of sugar and so far this 'Naked' one is by far the best when it comes to sugar content.

Ingredients

Handful of ice
Handful of spinach
Handful of kale
250ml coconut water
1/2 teaspoon of matcha powder
25g vanilla whey protein

Method

Firstly, you need a really good smoothie blender, there are lots of people out there who love the Nutribullet but I'm a Nutri Ninja girl myself. I did a LOT of research before buying it and looking at comparisons between the two and every review came out with the Ninja on top - and it was cheaper for more power! I haven't looked back as it's such a wonderful piece of kit that I use daily (sometimes twice!).

So this is really simple - put the ice in first (this is important as it's less likely to harm the blender) then the spinach and kale. Fill up with coconut water (make sure you don't fill up too much, your blender should show a max limit) and add in a scoop of protein powder and matcha (and any blueberries or stuff you want to use in your fridge). Give it a blitz - I go for the 'Ultra blend' setting usually which always results in absolutely no bits, not even from the kale stalks and this takes about 60 seconds. Then it's literally good to go! I always drink it straight away so that it doesn't have time to separate (I like my smoothies frothy!) and it generally just tastes so much better this way.

If you give it a go, let me know what you think!

If you guys like what you see, you can see more by adding me on the following:

                                                    Instagram               Bloglovin                    Twitter


12 comments

  1. Thank you so much for doing this! I never drink green smoothie because I think it's horrible haha. I'll definitly going to try this recipe

    www.blossomikebana.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. They take a bit of getting used to - I think the real trick is the vanilla protein powder as it makes it so frothy, without that it doesn't quite have the same yummy, creamy taste :)

      Delete
  2. I've tried so many green smoothies and I haven't liked any of them so I might give this a try! It does sound alright, so fingers crossed!! x

    Ariadna || RAWR BOWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the trick is not to over complicate it. If you find this a little too green then add in some frozen mango chunks for a bit more sweetness.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a big fan of the green smoothie but I don't mind it when it's mixed with almond milk or something similar. Sadly I hate coconut water (I feel like that's an unpopular opinion!) so I'd have to sub that out here.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a big fan of coconut water on it's own either but in this it just adds that little bits of sweetness without having to add juice and you can't really taste it. A good sub is just water (although the vanilla protein powder then becomes a MUST).

      Delete
  4. Looks great!

    http://www.bonaupetite.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've slowly started to get into green juices! This sounds like an amazing recipe though! x

    TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww this actually sounds delicious, I might try it as a "snack" between meals as I'm always looking for tasty drinks to keep me away from food :P

    Arianna, Nymphashion ♡

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing post!

    thedaydreamings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

© ARABELLA

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig